ABOUT THE INSTITUTE
Ilia Vekua Sukhumi Institute of Physics and Technology (SIPT) was founded in 1945. The Institute was formed on the ground of the core of the famous German scientists. Activities of institute included research technologies of creation nuclear and thermonuclear weapons, and also scientist researches in fields including plasma physics, solid state physics, untraditional energetic, physical electronics and other.
In 2006, the Institute was granted the status of a legal entity of public law (LEPL). Same year, scientific- technology direction was created in the Institute, with appropriate scientific-structural units, involvement in the international scientific researches and projects was increased respectively.
The conception of the institute covers wide spectrum of science and technology:
- Nuclear physics, radiation materials science and technologies;
- Solid body physics, semiconductors and superconductors physics;
- Semiconducting, thermoelectric and optoelectronic instrument-making;
- Quantum radiophysics, laser, electric and electronic systems;
- Cryogenic technique and technologies, nanomaterials and nanotechnologies;
- Chemical technologies, new compositions and ceramic materials (i.e. On the basis of
local raw materials);
- Environmental protection problems, i.e., researching radioactive contamination, monitoring and methods to reduce and non-proliferate pollution through the environment.
The scientific Structural Units of the Institute
- Research Department of Radiophysics and Electronic Systems Modeling
- Laboratory of Semiconducting Materials Science
- Laboratory of Chemical Technologies
- Laboratory of Semiconducting and Radiation Technologies
- Laboratory of Cryogenic Techniques and Technologies
- Laboratory of Non-Tradition energetics